Compressed gas cylinder is one of the potential hazards in chemical manufacturing plant. Examples of potential hazards associated with compressed gas cylinder are high pressure gases, hazardous gases, falling object, fire, explosion and gas leakage.
In general, cylinders are used to store various kinds of gases such as ethylene, hydrogen, carbon monoxide, acetylene, butane, propane, oxygen, nitrogen and methane. Those gases are flammable and non-flammable gases.
According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 5,160 injuries and 17 deaths in 2004 caused by pressurized containers.
If you are using compressed gas cylinders in your workplace, then you have to make sure its safety by doing regular inspection. Otherwise, injury, death and property damage will occur.
This article is written to give compressed gas cylinder safety inspection checklist, which can be used as a note for conducting regular inspection.
Safety Inspection Checklist for Gas Cylinder
- Never receive gas cylinder without clear label, damage shell or incomplete accessories.
- Make sure proper label attached to the cylinder. It must be clear and easy to find. This is very important to prevent misuse of certain gases.
- Is its shell in good condition? Is it already corroded?
- Are its accessories such as regulator pressure control, valve, pressure gauge, valve and safety cap complete and in good conditions?
- It has to be stored in upright position.
- Keep safety cap installed when it is not in use.
- Keep it under proper storage area. It has to be free from ignition sources, heat sources and good ventillation.
- Is it stored securely? It must be secured by lower and upper chains to prevent it from falling.
- Do not forget to check the chain condition. In general, corrosion is the main problem of the chain.
- Is the storage area free from vehicle and forklift traffics?
- Separate flammable and inflammable gases according to the standard.
- Make sure that there is no over stock of cylinders. More cylinders mean more hazards.
- Separate empty and full cylinders.
- Put appropriate marking for this purpose.
- Use hand truck to transport cylinder.
- Make sure hand truck capacity is enough.
- Hand truck maintenance is done regularly.
- Never use damage hand truck for transporting cylinder.
- Only trained people can use, transport and store cylinders.
- Is regular pressure test done every five-year?
Regular safety inspection is very important to make sure cylinder safety. Make a schedule for this safety inspection. And do not forget to review the checklist regularly to make sure that it is still reliable.